With the free rice game I can see its merits in helping to build or assess students vocabulary. It is a fun way for the children to test themselves without feeling the pressure from their teacher. I do believe however, that this could become a distraction because it solely for the purpose of testing vocabulary. It also does not give the teacher any control over the vocabulary being tested so it may or may not succeed to this end, particularly if the students become frustrated. The "Get the Glass" game can be used to motivate students on the legal system, bail and prison, however I don't think that students should be encouraged to play in the role of the criminal and I do not see that this would be helpful beyond using for one lesson and only within this particular context. I think the graphics are very impressive and that this could be very motivational but I do not see its relevance in a classroom.
As far as educational games go for meeting state and national teaching standards go I think it is possible provided that the game meets a very specific need of the lesson. It must be used to accomplish something within the class otherwise it is just a wast of valuable time.
"With the free rice game I can see its merits in helping to build or assess students vocabulary."
ReplyDeleteYour post reminded me of a very simplistic computer program that my mother designed for me to practice my times tables on. Although my learning was strictly memorization, it worked!